Monday 6 May 2013

Christian

I feel I couldn't leave the last post without adding a few words about Chris.

I do feel slightly uncomfortable with this sort of thing, I don't know why, but I do.
Maybe it's because I know Chris had dozens of friends that were dearer to him than myself? So this leaves me thinking what gives me the right to start writing about him in a blog as if  I was his best mate.
Maybe it's because I don't always agree with the way people posthumously elevate reputations, maybe it's the fear of thinking people would accuse me of doing the same.
Obviously I don't want to risk upsetting anybody, especially family, whom until the funeral I'd never even met.
It could be that it's just easier not to, maybe I don't want to bring it back to the fore?
But, the facts are, Chris' year, as far as triathlon was concerned was pretty much mapped out the same as ours, Majorca tri camp, some warm up races and ultimately Roth.

Chris was a very popular lad and immediately made his impression on the Lincsquad old guard. I took to Chris instantly( like most) and it wasn't long before He was training with a good, competitive set of Lads. Chris was always gleaning information from the fast lads and it was obvious he didn't want to just complete events, he wanted to 'race' them.
Being a strong rider and working a similar shift pattern he regularly joined us (not just me) on big rides. After all, this season we all shared the same goal......Roth.

Germany will be an emotional time for us all.

In Majorca you were sadly missed mate, i'd looked forward to our plan to have a few beers despite being under the watchful eye of our coaches and fellow 'seriously disciplined' athletes. I missed your company.

I have fond memories of my birthday night in Nottingham, thanks for coming and sorry about my driving making you feel ill on the way home.

Thanks for all the memories mate.


1 comment:

  1. Thought this very thoughtful and touching it shows that you all develop real and close relationships with other sportsmen. What a sad loss.

    ReplyDelete