Wednesday 1 May 2013

Road Trip to Roth

Tuesday and time to go.

Although the race wasn't until the Sunday we thought it less stressful if we arrived the earlier the better. Tuesday night Ange and I set off on the 850 mile trip with an overnight stop in Canterbury to break up the journey.
After catching the Eurotunnel at 05:50 it wasn't long before we were bumbling around Rothsee Lake trying to remember Dave's instructions on where to pitch the tent. It was no good, I had to ring him and Dave clarified we'd found the right place. Spaghetti bolognese was soon cooking on the camp stove. We found out the hard way that this was Mosquito country and bloody hot! It was also apparent there was a distinct lack of washing facilities/showers/ toilets on site too. Don't worry we'll ring Dave, he'll point us in the right direction?...............................something about there being a big shower block that they used last year???............this didn't exist! What did Dave(apart from smell) do last year? I think conveniently omitting the finer details was a clever ploy on Dave's part, he knew the girls wouldn't have entertained the idea if he'd have 'come clean', bum bum! (pretty proud of that one).
Thursday was the day Clarky, Em, Dave & Emm were joining us, albeit at midnight. I managed a 1.5 mile swim in the lake and then waited for the heat to diminish before running 6 mile around the lake. I felt great, really strong, my pace and recent running form suggested I was quite capable of a 3:30 marathon. I made the decision to set my Garmin for 7:45 min/miles expecting to slip down to 8 min/miles as the run took its toll. We also made the 5 mile trip into Roth to register, the atmosphere was bubbling and the typical bike envy at the trade stands, to my suprise prompted Angie's remark 'Steve we must sort you out with one of these Cervelo P5's, they look really nice'.
Yep, she definitely said that!


Just before midnight the travelling triathletes arrived in Dave's van, tip-toeing and 'shushing' around the camp as not to wake our neighbouring campers along with 3 month old baby!
Yet another dip in the lake the following morning to cool off and to stave off the lethargy. The serious swim was soon curtailed when a diving platform was spotted and Dave and I had a 'Dive off' showing our vast array of reverse somersaults with three and a half twists in the Free position, armstand back double tucks………..you know what I mean don't you? Belly flops!
Next to arrive, mid afternoon Friday was Kev and Alexa. A bit of car and van shuffling for Kev's tent ensured Lincsquad had laid claims to pretty much one corner of the field. With now another lady in camp wanting to wash, Hinchy was under serious threat to provide such! If not, it wouldn't be long before the women were revolting! (the old ones are the….worst).
Back into town on the bikes with the new arrivals to register and soak up the triathlon buzz, Angie again, insisting we looked at the Cervelo P5 stand, it's getting boring now!
After realising it wasn't in my triathlon box, the Expo did give me a fantastic opportunity to buy myself yet another £10 bento box! One day I'll remember who I've lent my previous two boxes to and ask for them back?
To finish the evening off we found a lovely restaurant in the local town for another variation of pasta. Beautiful eating complimented with sounds from a band at the neighbouring tavern.The most unusual of scenarios was pointed out when looking at the Iphotos. Not one of the boys had a beer in their hand? All diet cokes/lemonade,…. yet, and here's the funny thing, all the women were drinking beer! Remarkable, what's the likelihood of that?

Another guest joining the party and also arriving after midnight but on motorbike was the WAGs fifth member, Sporty Spice, Rob Wood. Rob is always a great asset to the team when away, his humour is great for moral, a good guy who's company and tales we always enjoy. Rob made nine stops for petrol on his journey across Europe to meet up with us. Maybe less if he'd not spent hours going around in circles?

Saturday, Race Day Eve meant getting bikes and bags prepared for racking.

Now this is an ordeal! You have an exact game plan already mapped out but oddly you start asking your mates what they're doing. This puts doubt in your mind and the previous month's carefully thought out plans go out the window. I was determined not to take as much food and water with me as last time. I didn't, but I still found myself taping things to my frame and attaching my rear bottle holder when someone said 'What if you miss a drink at the Aid station'. I don't know why but I even got duped into putting some spare socks in my run bag which I felt obliged to change into when in T2? After all my doubts I don't think I was quite as bad as IM debutant Kev Fish. Kev looked like he was holding some kind of Bike auction with cake stall attached.

Before taking the bikes there was just one final thing to do. Kev, very tastefully, had some stickers made for us all, saying………………….'Lincsquad.. Riding with Chris Brown'.

A sombre moment and time to think whilst attaching to bikes and helmets.






No comments:

Post a Comment