Monday 27 May 2013

The Peaks.


June 28

A sixteen year Wedding Anniversary meal at the 'Settlement'  in Caistor for myself and the lovely wife kick started the weekend. Looking like part of the furniture the Plumes and Dobbers were enjoying their night in the bar.. Lovely touch to be told that our first round of drinks was paid for.. Thanks Mr & Mrs D.
Before this and knowing it would be another night of food and alcohol abuse I set up the IPad to watch a film whilst fat burning on the treadmill for an hour or so.


June 29th

Got an invite today to join Angie's brother Daz and 4 of his mates for a hilly ride in the Peaks.
After a bit of badgering I got Matt to join me as I knew he had a Sportive approaching, which is also around that part of the country.
I have to say when the weather's good you can't beat this part of England. Two cafe stops in some quaint little Hamlets splitting up the hilly miles into manageable chunks.
First time up Winatts Pass for me and I wasn't disappointed, the gradual ascent lures you into a false sense of security, you don't think it's too bad and then it bites you toward the end. With the headwind, I can see why two of our gang found it a little easier on Shank's Pony! I won't embarrass these guys by naming and shaming because they're relatively new to cycling and did exceptionally well on other demanding hills during the day, well done Daz and Matt. ;-)

A rather bizarre brush with the law took place when we were flagged over and had to endure a bollicking for momentarily riding two a breast! It seems the Copper was as much in the dark as us to the official rule on riding two abreast. 
With seven of us all chipping in and giving our two penneth we were non the wiser to what we'd actually done wrong but all agreed he was only looking out for us. Although I personally think he was picking on us just cos I is black?
What is the official ruling, anybody?

Lazarus would have been in awe at the new lease of life Matt and Daz possessed in the final 5 mile back to the pub.
All in all a great day with a good set of lads. Good luck Daz, Seamus, Patrick, Paul and Andy with your charity coast to coast ride in Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment