Thursday 6 June 2013

The Half Outlaw


In preparation for the full Ironman I thought doing a half Ironman would be a good idea to test my training. The Half Outlaw at Nottingham got mine and a number of other Lincsquadders' vote.
I've got to say this was a cracking event with over 1200 competitors sharing the lakeland course at Holme Pierrepoint.
Rather optimistically I parked myself at the front of the swimmers treading water in the hope I'd get a bit of clear water. For once I didn't get swum over, not because I was faster than those but more that there was plenty of room for overtaking. This is becoming a bad habit, the 1900m swim, again, was pretty uneventful and almost pleasurable, which means I'm obviously not giving it eyeballs out! With my lack of swim practice this year it seems I'm not anticipating coming out of the water with the front runners, so in a way I'm not getting disappointed. I guess if Stenno, Luke M and Clarky were racing then I'd be peed off if they got out a minute in front of me as that'd be an indicator to the fact I've been a slacker as far as my swimming is concerned. But, they haven't been in any race I've done this year! So ignorance is bliss, I'll carry on enjoying myself.
Into T1 and immediately onto the lakeland circuit where the fast from my swim wave meet the slow swimmers from the two previous waves. Winding up the speed, placing cold feet into shoes whilst trying to manoeuvre around the packed circuit wasn't easy, I had to remind myself it was a long race and getting in front of people could wait until out on the road. Whilst getting comfy a GB tri-suit flashed past, I noted his name/number 'Wilder'. I admired his early enthusiasm but thought I'll get you later mate. Next time I saw him was in a photo in the Tri247 article accepting his winners’ trophy! Hmmm!
Matey boy aside I did find myself overtaking a constant stream of bikers for the first couple of hours.
A schoolboy error of trying to knock it down into the small chain ring whilst on my limit saw me pushing my once trusty steed up the only noted hill of the race. As usual the stress of these actions are always worse than the actual time lost. Having at least 40 people who I'd already caught and overtaken breeze past me offering their false commiserations isn't good for the mind. Once back up and running the final half hour seemed a little lonely as fellow triathletes were few and far between. My 23.4 mph average dwindled away to 23.0 mph in the last mile or so as the course brought you over cattle grids and speed bumps through some stately home. The ride ended up being a mile long too, so my 2:29 wasn't as bad as I thought.
The obvious plus side of riding a little more conservatively is having that extra spring in your step for the 13 mile run. This was the case as I set off from T2 to the commentator's words echoing in my head…..'And here's another Lincsquadder, it looks like the race is on'. I'd already been tipped off by Sarah Binch in transition that Chris Spavin was only a couple of minutes in front. As Chris is a strong biker It meant I'd gone fairly well to make up the 14 minutes head start he had on me.
I had no tactic in the run except to run as fast as I could before the inevitable leg fatigue kicked in. Low seven minute miles eventually increased to 7:30 minute miles as I neared the 10 mile mark. The course was excellent for gauging your position and seeing fellow Lincsquadders (and of course rivals). Seeing the likes of Tony Philbin, Andy Veitch and Julian Newell all of whom are better runners than me kept me focussed all the more.
I even found myself 'racing' in the last half mile against a guy who'd been breathing on my shoulder for the last 400 yds. I kept thinking 'Come on mate you're obviously faster than me as you've managed to catch me up so just pass me now will you'. As if reading my thoughts, he did such! His balding head, grey moustache and elderly frame suggested one thing……He was in my age group!!! Two bands on the arm confirmed he was also on his last lap and was going to relegate me further down the finishing order. Look, I know I'm milking this but it's very unusual that a man with my limited running pace finds himself in this position, so bear with me. As I shadowed my new found advisory I realised our pace had upped and in the final furlong we both overtook another double -banded veteran. With 200 metres to go and probably more to do with Angie’s screaming I made my move, I went for it, I shot past him……… OMG, I'd shown my hand too early, My energy started to ebb somewhat, I was dying and the finish still seemed miles away, I felt sick, Angie's cheering was now silent and I was blowing out of my backside! I glanced over my shoulder and to my relief matey hadn't sensed that I'd shot my bolt. I beat him by 4 seconds and because we'd both overtaken another chap it meant my age group position was elevated by 2 places within the last 100 meters.
13th position overall and 5th in my age group (4th if you exclude a pro) was a satisfying result in such a big event, to do it on the run of all disciplines made it that so much sweeter. OK, I've hardly turned into Mo Farrah over night and obviously I was annihilated by the top boys but overtaking hundreds on the bike paled into insignificance compared to those two coming into the grandstand.
A great afternoon drinking with the missus at 'The Village' and an Indian in Long Eaton made for a messy night.
Link to race report
http://www.lincsquad.co.uk/2013/06/the-half-outlaw-ironman-distance/ 

5 comments:

  1. Great read Steve

    you are no longer a strong swim / biker who hangs on in the run you are now an all round triathlete who will do damage at Roth i'm sure

    Steve . C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, great words coming from you, ta.

      Delete
  2. I'm really enjoying this blog Steve, great read. Looking good for Roth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Kev hope training is going well, not long now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. incredibly interesting Steve, you certainly talk a good story

    ReplyDelete