Saturday 1 June 2013

Big miles

June 24th

Met up with SteveO today for a proposed 100 mile ride without stopping.
Up to now most my rides are planned around cafe stops, invariably 45 miles in, so a rethink was in order. Normally I don't bother with any breakfast or gels but that's because I know a fuel stop isn't far away.
With Outlaw less than a fortnight away and knowing Steve was using these last valuable days getting accustomed to his TT bike position I thought I'd better take the better of my road bikes out to make it competitive. My winter workhorse isn't cutting the mustard anymore now he's peaking.
A lovely sunny day made for a pleasurable ride at pace. It must have been warm as a snake slithered across the road between Laughton and Blyton, think I've seen less than half a dozen in this country in my lifetime. 
I did say the ride was a proposed non stop 100 miler! With 75 mile on the clock there was this awful silence and realisation that our average was starting to plummet. Somehow, within 5 mile, we found ourselves at JJ's in Rasen tucking into toasties, egg, beans and toast. 
Ok, I know this option won't be available on race day but it had to be done. Once fuelled the legs suddenly came back to life and the average could be comfortably maintained. 
This stoppage  allowed a longest ever ride of 124 miles with an average of 19.7mph. 

June 25th

After a days gardening and the effects of yesterday's ride My back and legs were aching.
A steady 7.5 mile cross country run before tea was all I could muster. The overgrown grass down the riverbank was making footing difficult. I always try to include a cross country run in my training. An old rugby player at work was convinced that his lack of foot injuries (compared to his team mates) was down to this strengthening of the ankles over rough ground.  It's a double edged sword really because although I agree it does strengthen the ankle there's a lot more chance of stumbling over on the irregular terrain.
Ordered a new TYR wetsuit today, Chrissie Wellington's suit of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment