Sunday 9 June 2013

Steve G Challenge Roth 2013


Reading back at my old blog it was obvious that I was entering into the unknown at Austria. Yes, I obviously wanted to perform well but the major goal was just to get around within the cut-off times so I could call myself an Ironman. I'd tell people I'd be happy to finish under the 12 hr mark, which I would have been. But the nearer I got to the event I knew there was every chance I could sneak under the 11 hour mark. On the day I exceeded my own expectations and finished in 10 hrs 24 mins. It was tough but due to my ignorance I enjoyed it.
This time there'll be no sandbagging! I've had another 3 years of biking, swimming and running, the distance I've already done, and once again I've plumped for a fast course.
Sub 10 hours is the goal! It's got to be said, I'll be disappointed if I can't knock 25 minutes off my time from 3 years ago. This doesn't make it any easier! In fact now, the pressure is on, there's no comfort blanket of just pootling round to be called an 'Ironman', I'm already an Ironman! this time I will actually be 'racing it' rather than winging it. This could be the difference between eternal glory or suffering from endless bouts of depression for the rest of my miserable existence! No pressure then?

Before I start entering the rivetting tales of daily training. I'll quickly skip over my last 3 years as a Triathlete......

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck with your sub 10 hour goal Steve, go for it, you can totally do it! I of course will be cheering from afar, ache free - ha, ha.

    ReplyDelete